Take action to support Paid Family and Medical Leave. Ask you state legislators to support the paid leave bill.
NASW/CT ACTION ALERT
CONTACT YOUR STATE SENATOR & REPRESENTATIVE
PROPOSED SENATE BILL 1: AN ACT CREATING A PAID FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE SYSTEM IN THE STATE
The NASW-CT urges you to contact your legislator and encourage them to support Senate Bill 1. This piece of legislation is crucial to supporting working families in Connecticut and ensuring workers do not go into financial crisis due to an unforeseen medical problem
What This Bill Accomplishes
- Establish a comprehensive insurance style pool that enables workers to contribute to a system and take time away when they need it and protect their job upon their return.
- Up to 12 weeks of paid leave for one’s own illness, to care for a close family member, and birth/adoption of a new child.
- Keep young workers in the state. 38% of millennial’s said they would leave Connecticut for better work policies like paid leave.
Why is this important to you?
- Many low-income individuals’ social workers engage with work for small businesses that cannot offer these benefits or are not eligible under current law.
- Everyone will need to take care of themselves, their family member, or care for a new baby at some point in their lives. It impacts us all.
- This bill is important to ensure that working women in Connecticut can afford to care for their families in a time of need.
- Create an equitable working culture in Connecticut that values the employee as much as the employer.
When contacting your state legislators let them know you are a constituent and a social worker. If you have a personal story related to the benefits of paid family and medical leave or if you can tell your client’s stories please do so. Stories that put a spotlight on the benefits of paid family and medical leave are powerful messages.
Call to Action: Contact Your State Legislators and Ask Them To Support: AN ACT CREATING A PAID FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE SYSTEM IN THE STATE
NOT SURE WHO REPRESENTS YOU? Click here https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp