School Social Workers

For School Certification requirements click here for the Connecticut State Department of Education Fact Sheet or click here to download the PDF version.

To apply for certification as a school social worker, you must:

  • hold an MSW degree,
  • complete a special education course, only if you received your MSW from a CT school
  • submit transcripts, etc.

Certification Information

Connecticut State Department of Education Fact Sheet

Necessary Links:

School Certification requirements

Special Services Endorsements – Fact Sheet #120

Applicants for First Time Connecticut Certification – Fact Sheet #103

Criminal History Record Check – (Fingerprinting)

Approved Special Education Courses

Legislation, Policy & Professional Issues:

School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA) Recommendations for Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Authorization. Click below to read document available in .pdf

CT School of Social Worker  Tool Kit
SSWAA Recommendations for ESEA
Connecticut State Statute on Sexual Misconduct
Continuing Education Regulation


  • You can email legislators from the Connecticut General Assembly Website at and once on the site click on House or Senate and then click on Members. Find your legislator’s name and click on email to send them a message.
  • Call your legislators at:
    House Democrats –1-800-842-1902
    House Republicans – 1-800-842-1423
    Senate Democrats – 1-800-842-1420
    Senate Republicans – 1-800-842-1421
  • Write to your legislator at: Legislative Office Building, Hartford, CT 06106-1591


More Useful Links: